Friday 8 November 2013

Sumathy Marimuthu Shares her Story

My name is Sumathy Marumuthu. I was born in a place called Dindivanam. I grew up in the same village. I don’t know how old I am. When I got married, I remember I was 18 years old. It was a love marriage. Since my husband was working in Chennai we got came down to Chennai (to the slum). Since then we are living in the slum (Chennai).

My husband did not send me to work. He was an auto rickshaw man, but he didn’t go for work properly because he drinks a lot. In a week he spends his time on drinking and resting for two days and goes for work one day. So I had to go to work, that’s when I heard about SPEED Trust, weaving baskets. It’s been six years since I’m weaving baskets. My husband died last year, October 2010 due to TB.

We took him to the hospital and were advised not to drink but he started drinking so we couldn’t save his life. He’s been a good man, as far as I know. He always took care of me in times of joy and sorrow. He beats me at times but still he loves me. So I don’t mind him beating me. It happens in every married couple so I don’t take it too much into my heart.

I have 3 daughters. My first daughter’s name is Chitra, she’s studying in 11th std. My second daughter is Raehna, studying in 9th std. My third daughter is Kamala, studying in 5th std,

I’m the bread winner of my family. I weave basket and earn money. Since 3 months I started doing housekeeping job at Baladarsham (where I weave baskets).

If my daughter gets good mark, Ill let her continue her studies. I think there’s no point thinking about my past: I have 3 children and I need to take care of them so I just live up.






No comments:

Post a Comment